Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Death Upon Death


An illustration I did for "The Book of Skulls" a book that Faye Dowling is putting together at the moment. It seemed like it was right up my alley so I thought it would be fun to try it out. And it was! She's considering it for the book so hopefully I get in! I'll keep you posted...

The Skull has always been an iconic image connected with things like change, fear, and of course, death. Whether is was used as a symbol of mortality or just plain evil, it was an image not to be trifled with. Lately however, It's become more and more trendy. In fact, it's become one of the most common features in art today. We can only use something so much before it comes a cliché. Before it becomes yet another feature in that big stereotype parade.

Is the skull doomed to walk the same path as the wilting flower or the snuffed out candle? And with that repetition, are we shattering everything that the skull originally stood for?

I always try to throw in, at least a bit of symbolism or metaphor into my work and it seems like the people most successful are those who take those clichés and present them in an unexpected way. There's so much pressure to be brand new and unique in illustration and it's comforting to think that we don't have to come up with absolutely everything we put down on paper or canvas.

As usual the image on here is a bit washed out and even blurry. If you want to see a better version of it, check it out on my website:
http://johnnydombrowski.com/illustration/death-upon-death/
-Johnny

No comments: