Thursday, June 21, 2012

FrogFolio | The Storyteller

Illustration done for the FrogFolio calendar produced by Della Graphics. Every year, the calendar features some of the best illustrators working today. You can imagine how honored and shocked I was when the Art Director, Jim Burke, asked me to be a part of it. The only rule is that it involves frogs in some way.

After playing around with fables and fairy tales like the Frog Prince, I came across these wooden Frog masks from Bali. I've always had this weird obsession for older cultures around with world that have such different aesthetics from ours. I fell in love with the mask the second I laid eyes on it. From that mask, the idea began to grow into the person wearing it and eventually became just one piece in this traveler's wardrobe- picking up trinkets from each place they visit, carrying on stories from one destination to the next. 

There's items from China, Japan, Morocco, Africa, with others from as far as England and Ireland. 
Also, the characters on his robe are Anglo-Frisian runes for "Once Upon A Time. Or at least I think it is. It could be something like "Oncy Ipnh E Bime" or "My Feet Smell Bad"

Also, big news- I've started working on a comic book with a good friend of mine. 
Still in the writing stages but I'll be posting more later on. More coming soon. 
Linework
Thumbnails and Sketches

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just came across your work and wanted to say that I am really impressed! I love the graphic design aspect that you bring to your storytelling. The different dynamics that you bring to cell coloring is really fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing! I will be perusing your bog and Tumblr in anticipation of new pieces - in a completely non-stalkerish way, of course.

Happy Illustrating!