Thursday, June 14, 2012

SI Happy Hour

 

With recent events coming up, Kate Feirtag, the Society of Illustrators Exhibition Director, wanted to incorporate more illustration into the event fliers. Makes sense, right? I got dibs on taking care of the poster for Happy Hour. First idea was to run with kind of an Art Deco approach- in particular, the Empire State Building in all of its glory. We later decided, however, that it was a bit too quiet for what we were looking for. Back to the drawing board. Going with something a little more literal, I came up with some new sketches and got the go ahead on the first. It's just like me to go with a flower as ridiculously detailed as chrysanthemums.  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I guess.
Original Idea for Happy Hour Poster
Second run of sketches
New Poster Without Text
Linework
Happy Hour is happening at the Society of Illustrators on June 20th from 4-8. Every one should stop by to say hello! Along with my flier, Tara Jacoby illustrated the poster for the Society's Cabaret Night, which you can and should check out here

In other news, I've been trying to figure out what the difference between my blog and tumblr will be. I'm going to try my best to keep them different (with the exception of big finals, which I'll post on both) so be sure to follow each one. I figure I'll tend to write more about the work and my thought process here, while post more smaller things like my instagram sketches on tumblr. We'll see, it's still up in the air. More coming soon.

No comments: